The FEI Titan Themis3 S/TEM is one of the most advanced electron microscopy platform to date, capable of imaging and spectroscopy at the atomic level. Equipped with multiple cameras and detectors, the Titan Themis provides simultaneous information about position, bonding, and composition of atoms, and can be used to obtain nm-resolution 3D reconstructions and electric field maps.
The Titan is not an entry-level microscope and users requesting training should have significant experience on other instruments. A spring semester class is available to users who want a full theoretical and practical training on the Titan.
- Operates in TEM and STEM mode
- Image+probe Cs correctors for sub-A resolution in both TEM and STEM mode
- Ultra-bright XFEG gun
- Voltage tunable 60-300 kV, suitable for beam-sensitive samples
- Electron monochromator, ZLP FWHM <0.2 eV at all voltages
- High speed GIF ERS for large scale spectrum imaging and energy-filtered imaging
- Dual EELS capabilities
- High tilt holder for tomography & reconstruction software
- Cathodoluminescence holder
- 4K X 4K CMOS camera for fast large area imaging
- Super-X quad EDS detector for elemental analysis
- HAADF and triple DF/BF detectors for simultaneous imaging in STEM mode
Students interested in operating the Titan are strongly encouraged to attend the electron microscopy classes offered in the Spring. MSNE582 serves as training for the Titan, and after the class students require no or little additional training.
Users wishing to be trained without taking the class should fill the the TITAN_THEMIS_APPLICATION and send to Prof. Emilie Ringe (firstname.lastname@example.org), Dr Sadegh Yazdi (email@example.com) and Meri Dix (firstname.lastname@example.org). We will contact users to discuss their goals and needs. Significant prior TEM experience is required to commence training on the Titan.
Faculty in Charge: Emilie Ringe
Staff in charge: Sadegh Yazdi
Rice U Fee: 120$/hour, 1000$/day
Non-Commercial / Academic Fee: 186$/hour
Corporate / Commercial Fee: 275$/hour
The Titan can be booked on FOM